The 'twins' who met via YouTube: Baby girls who were adopted by different parents speak of chance web browsing that led to them being reunited
- Anaïs Bordier spotted Samantha Futerman, both 27, on a YouTube video
- Pair were both born in Seoul, South Korea on November 19, 1987
- Miss Bordier grew up in France while Miss Futerman was raised in the US
- 'Sisters' have played tricks on their parents - like the film The Parent Trap
- Duo have made a Kickstarter-funded documentary about their story
- They have taken a DNA test but will only reveal the result in their film
By Lucy Crossley
PUBLISHED: 08:06 EST, 2 February 2014 | UPDATED: 08:36 EST, 2 February 2014
When fashion design student Anaïs Bordier was watching a YouTube video she was stunned to see a face that looked uncannily like her own staring out of her computer screen.
Miss Bordier then discovered that not only did she share a birthday with Samantha Futerman, the actress in the clip, but the pair had both been born in Seoul, South Korea - prompting the young women's claim that they are twins who were separated at birth and adopted by different families on opposite sides of the globe.
Now the pair’s astonishing story is to be made to a documentary film and a book, focussing on their chance meeting via the internet, and the moment they came face to face for the first time.
Sister Sister: Suspected twins Anaïs Bordier (left) and Samantha Futerman (right), pictured during their first Skype conversation, believe they are twins who were separated after birth and adopted by different families
Alike: Miss Futurman (left) grew up in New Jersey, USA, while Miss Bordier (right) was raised in a suburb of Paris, France
Last February Miss Bordier, 27, who is studying at Central st Martins in London but was raised as an only child in a Parisien suburb, had been watching a YouTube film when she noticed that an actress in the clip looked very similar to her.
She also shared similar mannerisms to the actress, who turned out to be Miss Futerman, also 27, who grew up in Verona, New Jersey and was living in Los Angeles.
Miss Bordier contacted aspiring actress Miss Futerman on Twitter and the women say they soon worked out that they were both born in the South Korean capital on November 19, 1987.
'I was terrified and excited at the same time,' Miss Bordier told The Sunday Times.
'Sam responded with a picture of her birth records. There was nothing there to say she was a twin but then she sent pictures through and it seemed to settle it. It felt like having a heart attack, but it was also the happiest moment - a new world was opening.'
Contact: Miss Bordier (left) contacted aspiring actress Miss Futerman (right) on Twitter and the women say they soon worked out that they were both born in the South Korean capital on November 19, 1987
Miss Bordier had been placed into foster care by an American agency - Holt International Children's services - and adopted by her French parents three months later.
Meanwhile Miss Futerman was adopted around three months after her birth, having been fostered by another agency - Spence-Chapin.
She said that documentation given to her adoptive parents did not contain the names of her birth parents, or if she had any brothers or sisters.
Following their Twitter conversation the women plucked up the courage to speak to one another via a Skype video call.
Miss Futerman then started a Kickstarter page to fund a documentary to chronicle their first meeting and their subsequent adventures together.
Truth: Miss Futerman (left) and Miss Bordier (right) say that have taken a DNA test, but have vowed only to reveal the result in their film
The pair hoped to raise $30,000, around £19,000, and more than 1,000 people have donated a total of $44,000 (£27,000) - which paid for a DNA test to reveal once and for all if the pair are in fact sisters.
The women have now started a second Kickstarter campaign to raise $80,000 (£49,000) for their documentary's post-production, and have taken in more than $20,000 (£12,000).
They say that have taken a DNA test, but have vowed only to reveal the result in their film - prompting some to wonder if the pair's story is an elaborate hoax.
Miss Futerman journeyed to London to meet Miss Bordier in May last year.
Miss Bordier said: 'The door opened and I felt paralysed. She was right in front of me and I didn't want to move. We were just staring at each other.'
Similarity: The suspected twins say they have used their physical similarities to play tricks on their parents - just like in the 1998 Lindsay Lohan film The Parent Trap
She said that her father had cried upon meeting Miss Futerman, while her mother believed that the pair were so alike that they had to be sisters.
They both share a love of Harry Potter, the arts, and many of the same television programmes, while Miss Bordier confessed that the duo had taken advantage of their physical similarities to play a trick on Miss Futerman's mother and father.
'I came out first and surprised them and they stopped for five seconds, saying, "What? What? No!" and they said we were identical too. It was just like The Parent Trap.'
The 1961 Hollywood movie, remade in 1998 starring Linday Lohan, features twins who were separated as babies and brought up by their divorced mother and father respectively only to meet as teenagers at summer camp.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Cincinnati police are looking for the group of women who stripped down and attacked two females on Sunday. The entire attack was caught on video. The ...
- My great uncle started World War One: Relative of the man who assassinated Franz Ferdinand caught in the middle of diplomatic row as Bosnia plans to mark centenary of his act
- Surrender by 3am or we attack: Russian naval commander issues deadline for Ukrainian troops in Crimea
- Saratoga teen’s tragic suicide triggers campaign for ‘Audrie’s Law’
- Police: Teacher shot and killed by her husband
- Babysitter admits shaking 2-year-old to death and leaving her to die on the floor 'while she played a game on Facebook for two hours'
- At least 10 tigers butchered in 'visual treat' for Chinese businessmen
- Why you should never attempt to kiss a snapping turtle: Pet owner hospitalised after show of affection backfires in spectacular fashion
- High-class Orlando escorts had so much money they hid it in air vents
- Pervy married doctor accused by former employee of sexual harassment and trading sex for Botox
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- L'Wren Scott was Mormon girl from one-horse town who won Mick Jagger
- 'He told me God loves every part of us': How a happily married Baptist pastor came out to his openly gay grandson at age 90... just five months before his death
- Beluga whales are captured and trained not to fear humans
- Courtney Cash, Johnny Cash's great-niece, found stabbed to death and stuffed in a BOX 'after a drug-related fight with a criminal friend'
- Terrifying first person video from Afghanistan shows exactly what it is like to be struck by an IED
- Entire family charged with shoplifting, selling goods online for millions
- Beyonce's Instagram faux pas - Tasmania is not a country
- Was flight MH370 lost in an aeronautical black hole?
- She's lovin' it! The shocking moment a crazed topless woman DESTROYS a McDonald's before pausing to enjoy an ice cream cone
- 6 Ways to Maintain Your Mental Flexibility
- Alive? Helicopters scrambled after possible sighting of 'life raft' in area where missing Malaysia flight disappeared into the sea without a trace
- Father calls 911 for help after enraged cat attacks baby then bails whole family - including DOG - up in bedroom
- Actress Diane Keaton helps local Planned Parenthood celebrate 75th anniversary
- The rapping, soccer-loving Florida college freshman who had the best weekend ever at the Oscars (because his sister Lupita won best supporting actress)
- Hales Corners fourth-graders take measures to raise awareness of bullying
- John F. Kennedy, Jr.'s memoir JFK Jr., George & Me reveals times at George magazine
- Police: 11 men arrested in Linthicum prostitution sting
- Boeing 737 fuselages arrive at firm's Seattle factory to be assembled
- Kenneth Bernard Schade, boys choir founder, charged with rape in alleged abuse of members
- 'Model partied with hotel heir the night he died from an overdose and found him dead in bed the next morning'
- Multimillionaire father exposes his ostentatious lifestyle in Chrisley Knows Best
- 2 people swept into ocean during baptism on Calif. coast
- State Fair adds Phil Vassar, MercyMe & 311 to Main Stage lineup
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Missing hockey player Terry Trafford's body found by state police in his truck
- Brian Keith 'murdered his wife's newborn daughter whom he resented because he wasn't the girl's father'
- Elizabeth Taylor's granddaughter Naomi deLuce Wilding on their relationship
- Friends, family remember couple killed in murder-suicide
- Restaurant Scores For Week Of March 10
- Waukesha woman accused of stealing almost $500K worth of jewelry
- Woman charged following death of 14-month-old son
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Good Samaritan who was moving furniture saves toddler who fell from three-story building using box-spring mattress
- Woman, 23, who 'pretended to be a teenager in online profile to pick up and have sex with 13-year-old boy' may be pregnant
- Edmond father says his third-grader won't take reading test
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- The real roads to hell: Interactive map reveals the world's 22 most deadly highways
- Business inside building owned by church raided by DPD
- Obama says Russia has 'violated international law' as Crimea attempts to succeed from the Ukraine and join Putin
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Nancy Pfister, Aspen socialite 'killed by tenants' died of blunt force trauma to head
- Pro-Moscow separatists shot dead ahead of peace talks
- Drowsy orangtutang shot by poachers has his wounds tended to
- Penitent Filipinos whip themselves red raw 'to atone for their sins' on Maundy Thursday
- Bill Gates to patent Google Glass DETECTOR technology that stops cameras spying on screens
- Wrong medical diagnosis received by as many as 12million Americans each year
- Hawaii from a hexacopter
- Inside Cadbury's chocolate factory where 1.5m creme eggs are made EVERY DAY
- Fort Lauderdale Spring Break the 1980s
- Andre Johnson, rapper who cut off his own penis will not have it reattached