Citizen Roads Advisory Commission meets for first time
Just last night Gov. Nikki Haley delivered her State of the State address.
Among the issues, she said she wouldn't raise the tax on gasoline to fix roads and bridges.
“We proved last year that we can invest in our roads and bridges with the dollars we already have,” Haley said.
Despite the governor’s message, one group says it can't wait for the state to act.
Instead, members say it’s up to the community to determine what Greenville County's needs are on the roads, so they're taking action.
Thursday evening, the Citizen Roads Advisory Commission met at County Square for the first time to get an idea of what Greenville County has to do to fix its roads.
”The message coming out of Columbia consistently is no new taxes for roads and road improvement. So, now the decision is left to the counties,” Commission member Tim Madden said.
“Greenville County is faced with a serious road problem,” Lisa Stevens said.
Stevens chairs the newly formed commission.
“We’re going to have to decide who we want to be in 10 years what do we want the condition of our infrastructure to be,” Stevens said.
From Greer to Fountain Inn to the SCDOT, representatives across Greenville County gave the commission an idea of what they're facing in their areas.
“As you know Woodruff Road is one of the most congested roads in the city of Greenville, and there's a lot of development going on and there's a lot of development yet to happen there,” City Engineer Dwayne Cooper said.
Keith Brockington with the Greenville Pickens Area Transportation Study pointed out 56 roads need to be addressed but are not expected to be funded by 2035. GPATS plans out federally funded transportation improvements.
“To sum it all up we don't have a whole lot of money and we have a whole lot of need,” Brockington said.
“That's an eye opener when you look at that list and see that we have money in the pipeline, and engineering for certain projects and they have a vision plan out for 2035, and it's stuff that if you were driving down the road you would think needs to be done today,” Stevens said.
Stevens says the commission can't figure out the solutions alone.
“People need to show up at these meetings. If they don't come tell us what they're thinking, we're going to assume they have no opinion,” Stevens said.
The commission hopes by next week to have set the dates and locations for seven public input meetings around Greenville County.
That’s when the community will get the chance to tell the commission what they think needs to be fixed in their area.
Cincinnati police are looking for the group of women who stripped down and attacked two females on Sunday. The entire attack was caught on video. The ...
- My great uncle started World War One: Relative of the man who assassinated Franz Ferdinand caught in the middle of diplomatic row as Bosnia plans to mark centenary of his act
- Surrender by 3am or we attack: Russian naval commander issues deadline for Ukrainian troops in Crimea
- Saratoga teen’s tragic suicide triggers campaign for ‘Audrie’s Law’
- Police: Teacher shot and killed by her husband
- Babysitter admits shaking 2-year-old to death and leaving her to die on the floor 'while she played a game on Facebook for two hours'
- At least 10 tigers butchered in 'visual treat' for Chinese businessmen
- Why you should never attempt to kiss a snapping turtle: Pet owner hospitalised after show of affection backfires in spectacular fashion
- High-class Orlando escorts had so much money they hid it in air vents
- Pervy married doctor accused by former employee of sexual harassment and trading sex for Botox
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- L'Wren Scott was Mormon girl from one-horse town who won Mick Jagger
- 'He told me God loves every part of us': How a happily married Baptist pastor came out to his openly gay grandson at age 90... just five months before his death
- Courtney Cash, Johnny Cash's great-niece, found stabbed to death and stuffed in a BOX 'after a drug-related fight with a criminal friend'
- Beluga whales are captured and trained not to fear humans
- Terrifying first person video from Afghanistan shows exactly what it is like to be struck by an IED
- Entire family charged with shoplifting, selling goods online for millions
- Body found near A1A possibly connected to weekend crash
- Beyonce's Instagram faux pas - Tasmania is not a country
- She's lovin' it! The shocking moment a crazed topless woman DESTROYS a McDonald's before pausing to enjoy an ice cream cone
- Was flight MH370 lost in an aeronautical black hole?
- 6 Ways to Maintain Your Mental Flexibility
- Alive? Helicopters scrambled after possible sighting of 'life raft' in area where missing Malaysia flight disappeared into the sea without a trace
- Father calls 911 for help after enraged cat attacks baby then bails whole family - including DOG - up in bedroom
- Actress Diane Keaton helps local Planned Parenthood celebrate 75th anniversary
- The rapping, soccer-loving Florida college freshman who had the best weekend ever at the Oscars (because his sister Lupita won best supporting actress)
- Hales Corners fourth-graders take measures to raise awareness of bullying
- John F. Kennedy, Jr.'s memoir JFK Jr., George & Me reveals times at George magazine
- Boeing 737 fuselages arrive at firm's Seattle factory to be assembled
- Kenneth Bernard Schade, boys choir founder, charged with rape in alleged abuse of members
- Police: 11 men arrested in Linthicum prostitution sting
- 'Model partied with hotel heir the night he died from an overdose and found him dead in bed the next morning'
- Girl costs father $80,000 with ‘SUCK IT’ Facebook post
- Multimillionaire father exposes his ostentatious lifestyle in Chrisley Knows Best
- 2 people swept into ocean during baptism on Calif. coast
- State Fair adds Phil Vassar, MercyMe & 311 to Main Stage lineup
- Missing hockey player Terry Trafford's body found by state police in his truck
- Brian Keith 'murdered his wife's newborn daughter whom he resented because he wasn't the girl's father'
- Restaurant Scores For Week Of March 10
- Friends, family remember couple killed in murder-suicide
- Elizabeth Taylor's granddaughter Naomi deLuce Wilding on their relationship
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Waukesha woman accused of stealing almost $500K worth of jewelry
- Woman charged following death of 14-month-old son
- Good Samaritan who was moving furniture saves toddler who fell from three-story building using box-spring mattress
- Edmond father says his third-grader won't take reading test
- Woman, 23, who 'pretended to be a teenager in online profile to pick up and have sex with 13-year-old boy' may be pregnant
- The real roads to hell: Interactive map reveals the world's 22 most deadly highways
- Business inside building owned by church raided by DPD
- Obama says Russia has 'violated international law' as Crimea attempts to succeed from the Ukraine and join Putin
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Madison ranked greenest city in nation
- Men claiming to be police officers force way into home
- Fracking plan on Northshore causes concern for area residents
- Live: Candidates for Jackson mayor square off in debate
- Perfect at any age: 84-year-old?s set Madison bowling records
- Tests on meatballs after dogs poisoned
- Flooding closes Route 2 in Lancaster
- Llama wanders through Trinidad, then leaves
- Woman flees possible police impersonator
- SF fire victims Eseta Ioane and Santana Williams