Cat survives poisoning thanks to dogs blood
A cat named Rory survived ingesting rat poison after a resourceful veterinarian used blood from a Labrador to save its life.
Rory ate the poison last week and owner Kim Edwards took him quickly to veterinarian Kate Heller told her there was no cat blood available and the animal would die if they waited for some to arrive.
So Heller quickly told Edwards they needed dog blood.
"I hadn't heard about it or read about it. It's not in any textbook. People are going to think it sounds pretty dodgy," Heller told 3News in New Zealand.
The doc called a friend who brought Macy, the Tauranga Labrador to the office and the dog donated 120ml of blood, saving Rory’s life.
Heller explained "cats don't reject dog blood because they don't have antibodies that do so, meaning a cross-species transfusion could buy a feline enough time to regenerate its own blood cells.”
Rory is doing great and Edwards confirms her cat is a not acting like a dog.
"He is not out fetching the newspaper or peeing on power poles or barking yet! He is just the normal cat that we have, playful, friendly."
A Norwegian firm designed the vessel, which could achieve fuel savings of 60 per cent while reducing emissions by 80 per centThe Vindskip by Lade ...
- Terre des Hommes creates CGI girl called Sweetie to entice child porn predators
- FBI foils siblings' plot to kill Berkley deputy police chief
- Men dressed as Batman and Captain America swoop into burning home and rescue stranded house cat from fire
- Rats on a plane: Health inspectors find mother rodent and 10 pups flying business class on flight to China
- Lower Macungie approves 1st property tax since 2002
- Driver sought in fatal hit-and-run
- Church loses thousands after Norton Oil company abruptly closes
- UCF clinches first BCS bowl game
- Gov. Perry issues emergency proclamation for Texas ahead of storm
- Missing teen alive, but in danger, officials believe
- Hazleton council comes up with 'package deal' to get money to pay workers
- Thieves hit victims during robbery at hotel
- 1 dead, 1 critical after pedestrians hit in Orange County
- Digital Landlord Promises a Disaster-Proof Cloud